Thursday, September 24, 2015

We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson

Book Discussion Date and Time: Tuesday, October 13, 2015, at 11:00 A.M.

"My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. I am eighteen years old, and I live with my sister Constance. I have often thought that with any luck at all I could have been born a werewolf, because the two middle fingers on both my hands are the same length, but I have had to be content with what I had. I dislike washing myself, and dogs, and noise. I like my sister Constance, and Richard Plantagenet, and Amanita phalloides, the death-cup mushroom. Everyone else in my family is dead."
So begins the story of two eccentric sisters, "Merricat" and Constance Blackwood, and their frail, daft Uncle Julian, who live on a grand  old family estate, isolated from their hostile, curious  neighbors. This gothic masterpiece was written by Shirley Jackson, who first received wide critical acclaim for her short story, The Lottery.

No comments: